What is branding?
Branding has many textbook definitions and they all surround one main idea; It represents you, your ideas, your values, and what you offer. Branding is all about how YOU decide how the world sees your vision.
Watch this video on what is branding before you continue.
Often mistaken for just a simple color scheme, symbols, logos, and other marketing materials, branding is one of the most important areas in the business that gets overlooked because of society’s fast-changing demands. Organizations become more focused on their products, customers, and revenue alone that they treat their branding just as a small part of marketing.
What I just statted is not branding. Branding is what defines you. It is made up of components that come from who you are and who you want people to perceive you as. It gives your audience a vivid image of what value you can add to their lives and what they should be expecting from you. It is what makes people recognize you, your products, and your services.
Branding is what sets you apart from the competition. Aside from symbols, logos, colors, and slogans – it is what you promise to deliver. For example, it is about who you would create value for your customers or why they should choose you.
In this branding journey, you have to integrate all of the branding and marketing elements and keep them side by side to achieve the winning results. Neglecting one side of the picture may lead you towards failure in achieving the desired goals of branding. However, your main focus should be on what distinguishes you from others or how you represent yourself or your business to your prospects.
Among the crowd of competitors, branding helps you to lighten up yourself in an attempt to stand out from the crowd. Choosing the right branding techniques help you to distinguish yourself from others and capture a unique place in the consumers’ minds and hearts.
What is branding important?
Branding plays many important roles in the success of your business. It builds your reputation, creates your client base, and shows them what you are capable of.
The kind of branding you create for yourself will make you stand out. In a world where entrepreneurship is not rocket science anymore, the challenge does not fall on taking the first steps anymore.
With thousands of start-ups here and there, the products and services you may be thinking of are most likely already offered by many others and challenge comes from being able to rise among the competition and become known as an expert in your field
Basically, this is where branding comes in. To set yourself apart from the others, you need to make a lasting impression. The impression your clients will have, and the overall experience they get along the way will always be associated with your branding.
You need to build a brand that will sell you not just as an entrepreneur, but also as someone they can trust. Sticking out like a sore thumb will not just get you recognized – it will also be why new clients will want to work with you.
In addition to standing out, familiarity and client loyalty are two other areas your branding helps with. The more familiar you become, the more clients will trust and come back to you. Good branding builds trust and creates loyalty because people come back to brands that they feel comfortable with, and have had good experiences with. Once you’ve made your mark and people begin trusting you, your clients will keep coming back, and new clients will come effortlessly.
Aside from all these, your branding also gives your business the attention it needs to increase profit and demand. As you become more recognized and trusted, more people will be talking about your brand and the kind of services you offer, and more new clients will want to work with you. Your branding establishes your place in the market, and this is why even empires like Nike, Apple, Coca-Cola, and more do not stop recreating and building their brands.
Fun Fact: Did you know Coca-Cola brand name is worth more the actual company?
The importance of branding lies beyond visuals – your logo, color scheme, posters, flyers, taglines, and other collaterals. The importance lies in the connection it has with your services, principles, and commitment to delivering beyond what is expected. Therefore, it is crucially important to look deeply into all of these elements and implement some result proven tactics/tips for successful branding.
Some tested and result-proven tips for branding
Whenever a person steps in branding, it seems a very time-consuming, difficult, and impossible task for him. It must be kept in mind that the results of branding take time to appear. Branding requires consistent efforts to reach the desired milestone. If you want to enjoy 100% results from your branding efforts, it is essential to use some effective branding tips and techniques.
The most common mistake that many people make is that they use the wrong or irrelevant techniques for branding purposes. As a result, they fail to accomplish the desired results. On the other hand, many others simply ignore the context of branding and thus face serious drawbacks in their marketing efforts.
Therefore, if you want to enjoy fruitful results from your branding efforts, make sure to keep in mind all of the following tested and result proven branding tips and techniques. By using these tips and techniques, you would see a noticeable difference in your branding campaigns.
Choosing a logo
To create a distinctive image of your brand in the mind of your customers and consumers, it is very important to choose the most appealing logo. While choosing the logo for branding your business, keep in mind that it must be representative of what you are selling to people. Once you are done with choosing the logo, place it everywhere to get it printed in the minds of your customers.
Highlighting your brand messages
Another most important tactic for effective branding is to highlight and promote your brand messages. Think about the messages that your brand delivers to your customers. For example, does your brand says that quality is everything to delight the customers, and therefore delivery quality is our core feature? Then you must target your brand messages in such a way and promote these words such as delivering quality is our top priority.
Integrating all components of your brand
Keep in mind that branding is not comprised of a single element, but it includes all those elements that affect your brand or marketing efforts. For example, the way how your representatives respond to customer call affects branding.
Similarly, the behavior of the salesperson while selling goods in-person also affects your brand image. Therefore, it is crucially important to consider all these elements while branding your business. Make sure to design and implement branding strategies for all these core areas of marketing.
Choosing the most provoking tagline
Among all of the branding tips, this is one of the most important ones. Choosing a tagline is the toughest task because it directly impacts a customer’s mind when it hears/sees your brand logo. Your tagline must be short, concise and clearly depict what you are branding or what your brand is all about. It must be engaging and compelling to invoke a response in the audience/customers
Creating brand standards
Creating your branding standards is also critically important to be succeeded in this journey. Your standards must be realistic and must be applied to all of the areas of our business. Not only this, but your branding standards must follow the laws and norms of society. It is also important to stick to those branding standards and ask all of your employees to do so. This is the only way through which you can bring uniformity and transparency in your branding journey.
Be original and true.
While devising all these branding standards, rules, and regulations, make sure to be highly based on the actual insights. Never disperse any fake or wrong information about your brand to capture the interest of more customers. Even if you do so, these customers would be for a short time, and your brand would start losing them in the long run.
Be clear and consistent
When you create your branding tagline, standards, and strategies, you must be clear and unbiased. Similarly, you must consistently continue your branding efforts to reach the targeted goals. Being clear and consistent in this journey is the key to success in all types of branding.
Most often, the two types of branding are used all over the world. These two types of branding are known as personal branding and business branding. Before you step into the era of branding, make sure to figure out which type of branding you need. Here you will learn about personal as well as business branding along with their pros and cons.
What is personal branding?
In the simplest words, personal branding means how you represent yourself to the people around you to influence their perception. To create a personal brand or to promote personal branding, more serious efforts are needed. It is a common myth that personal branding doesn’t need any effort, but it is based on a person’s capability to convince and influence others. However, this is not the case because personal branding also needs your time, effort, and energy to get positive results. If you are planning to do personal branding for any reason, keep the following things in mind.
- You must be focused on the top qualities that you are branding to influence people about yourself
- Moreover, you must be consistent with what you are branding. If you are branding yourself or your core compatibilities, make sure to stay consistent about them. Without assuring consistency, your branding can badly fail.
- You must also learn to tell a story to people to capture their interests and control their minds. It is very important because no one wants to hear the promotional words about your brand, but they would be interested in listening to your personal stories. So, learn to create stories that revolve around your brand and promote it indirectly
- It is also important to create a positive impact on the minds of people by calculating and monitoring every step. Keep in mind that people are watching you every second when you start personal branding. A minor mistake can make you bear great losses. Therefore, keep an account of your every act and behave wisely and creatively to influence others.
Pros and cons of personal branding
Once you are well aware of what is branding, why branding is important, or branding types, it is important to evaluate them by focusing on their pros and cons. When we talk about personal branding, here are the following advantages and disadvantages.
The pros of personal branding are as follows:
- People always trust more on real people or personal brands. Personal branding always wins greater customer share and greater interest of people.
- Personal branding has a deep influence on the minds of people. If you learn to create engaging stories for people that are about your brand, they will give outstanding results.
- It offers you the opportunity to establish your values and personal credibility.
- It offers you a fantastic way to practice positive behavior and good vibes for the sake of your branding.
- Additionally, it gives you a name and fame to enjoy throughout your life if you stay consistent.
- Personal branding offers you the opportunity to grow internally and personally with your brand.
- Last but not least, personal branding always involves countless benefits and profits for a lifetime if you lead it in the right direction.
Besides all the benefits of personal branding, here are some of its disadvantages as well that you must be aware of.
The profits and revenue associated with personal branding might be limited in most cases because your customers always want to make direct contact with you. As a result, they restrict you from extending it beyond some specifically drawn boundaries. Even if you extend it, your customer circle may start to reduce because your customers stop considering your brand due to losing personal contact with you.
- If anyone says negative things about you in the media, it will ruin your lifetime image. It would make it hardest for you to stand again and recapture all your customer share.
- Personal branding requires you to be public and don’t shy. If you are a private person or like to keep your personal life private, this type of branding is not for you.
- Personal branding may limit your target market or your potential customers. As you are alone on this journey, so it restricts many growth opportunities for you, especially in the international market.
The right prospects for personal branding!
Based on all of the above-mentioned pros and cons of personal branding, the following people are the right prospects for this type of branding.
- and other professionals
Another famous type of branding is business branding, which is a bit different from personal branding. Business branding means to create a comprehensive and engaging message about your company, products, and services and deliver it to your audience in the most appealing way. In the simplest words, business branding means to market your business in the eyes of its customers to influence their minds and to catch their attention. This is done in the hope of making them your potential customers so that they could benefit you or your company in the long run.
In this competitive world, business branding is not an easy job. Business branding requires your full attention, time, focus, and energy to reveal positive results. For this purpose, the first and foremost step is to conduct in-depth market research to identify and analyze a number of things. Among those things, the most important ones include your competitors, market trends, customer demands, suppliers, distributors, retailers, stockholders, and many such role players. You must be aware of the changing marketplace as well to best meet the needs and demands of your customers.
Determining who your competitors are and what they are doing also deeply influence your business branding. Suppose that you have a business of shoes, and you want to brand it. Before you start business branding for it, you must know what other shoe sellers are operating in the market around you. You must identify which marketing and branding tactics they are using to win the largest market share.
You must also have a look at their design and pricing strategy. In short, there are hundreds of things about which you must conduct thorough research to gather useful insights. These insights would help you in devising a hit business branding plan for your business.
Pros and cons of business branding
Just like personal branding, business branding also includes a number of advantages and disadvantages for everyone. If you want to proceed with business branding, please take a few minutes to read its pros and cons below.
Business branding offers the following outstanding benefits/advantages to everyone.
- Business branding directly leads to create brand awareness about your brand in the eyes of your targeted community. All the efforts invested in business branding result in creating a widespread image of your brand. It spread awareness about your company, its products, services, and whatever you are offering to the people.
- Business branding is a great way to boost customer loyalty through positive endeavors. Whenever people hear about your business, it would recall its core compatibilities in their minds. As a result, the positive vibes originating into their minds would bring them back to your business and turn them into long term customers.
- Business branding offers you the chance to secure your business from competitors. When you brand your business within the legal boundaries, you would have to choose a registered name for it. No one else can use that legally chosen business name for their business. In this way, no one can steal your business ever, and all your business branding efforts remain intact.
- Business branding offers you the opportunity to grow your business on a global level. By choosing the right marketing and branding strategies for this purpose, you can make your brand stand out in the eyes of global customers.
- In contrast to personal branding, business branding always comes with huge profits and the greatest revenues. Due to its wide potential and high scope for growth, it offers you the opportunity to enjoy greater returns on investments.
However, business branding also involves a negative side, just like personal branding. If you choose business branding, you may have to face any/all of the following disadvantages.
- The image of your brand that you create through business branding is very difficult or sometimes impossible to change. In business branding, you need to be very careful because changing the perceptions of a large number of audience is not an easy job.
- Business branding also requires a lot of monetary and timely investments. If you don’t have enough time and money, you will fail in business branding. For successful business branding, make sure to have a lot of time to invest in it or either hire someone for this purpose. Additionally, make sure that you can bear the cost of business branding in the long run to reap the positive results.
Personal Branding vs. Business Branding: Which one is good?
There is no good or bad type of branding, but it depends on what you need to brand. If you own a company and want to brand its products, services, or any other offerings, business branding would be the right option for you. However, if you don’t own a company but want to promote yourself, your capabilities, or your skills, personal branding would be the right option for you.
In either case, make sure to first understand what is branding and why branding is important. Once you have a good understanding of these two concepts, you would be ready to start your chosen type of branding. Choose your type accordingly, implement it wisely, and enjoy the benefits countlessly!
If you found this article to be helpful, don’t hesitate to sign up for The Social Cafe news letter.