In the simplest words, personal branding means how you represent yourself to the people around you to influence their perception. To create a personal brand or to promote personal branding, more serious efforts are needed. It is a common myth that personal branding doesn’t need any effort, but it is based on a person’s capability to convince and influence others.
However, this is not the case because personal branding also needs your time, effort, and energy to get positive results. If you are planning to do personal branding for any reason, keep the following things in mind.
⦁ You must be focused on the top qualities that you are branding to influence people about yourself.
⦁ Moreover, you must be consistent with what you are branding. If you are branding yourself or your core compatibilities, make sure to stay consistent about them. Without assuring consistency, your branding can badly fail.
⦁ You must also learn to tell a story to people to capture their interests and control their minds. It is very important because no one wants to hear the promotional words about your brand, but they would be interested in listening to your personal stories. So, learn to create stories that revolve around your brand and promote it indirectly.
⦁ It is also important to create a positive impact on the minds of people by calculating and monitoring every step. Keep in mind that people are watching you every second when you start personal branding. A minor mistake can make you bear great losses. Therefore, keep an account of your every act and behave wisely and creatively to influence others.
Pros and cons of personal branding
Once you are well aware of what is branding, why branding is important, or branding types, it is important to evaluate them by focusing on their pros and cons. When we talk about personal branding, here are the following advantages and disadvantages.
The pros of personal branding are as follows:
- People always trust more on real people or personal brands. Personal branding always wins greater customer share and greater interest of people.
- Personal branding has a deep influence on the minds of people. If you learn to create engaging stories for people that are about your brand, they will give outstanding results.
- It offers you the opportunity to establish your values and personal credibility.
- It offers you a fantastic way to practice positive behavior and good vibes for the sake of your branding.
- Additionally, it gives you a name and fame to enjoy throughout your life if you stay consistent.
- Personal branding offers you the opportunity to grow internally and personally with your brand.
- Last but not least, personal branding always involves countless benefits and profits for a lifetime if you lead it in the right direction.
Besides all the benefits of personal branding, here are some of its disadvantages as well that you must be aware of.
- The profits and revenue associated with personal branding might be limited in most cases because your customers always want to make direct contact with you. As a result, they restrict you from extending it beyond some specifically drawn boundaries. Even if you extend it, your customer circle may start to reduce because your customers stop considering your brand due to losing personal contact with you.
- If anyone says negative things about you in the media, it will ruin your lifetime image. It would make it hardest for you to stand again and recapture all your customer share.
- Personal branding requires you to be public and don’t shy. If you are a private person or like to keep your personal life private, this type of branding is not for you.
- Personal branding may limit your target market or your potential customers. As you are alone on this journey, so it restricts many growth opportunities for you, especially in the international market.
- The right prospects for personal branding!
Based on all of the above-mentioned pros and cons of personal branding, the following people are the right prospects for this type of branding.
- And other professionals
Another famous type of branding is business branding, which is a bit different from personal branding. Business branding means to create a comprehensive and engaging message about your company, products, and services and deliver it to your audience in the most appealing way.
In the simplest words, business branding means to market your business in the eyes of its customers to influence their minds and to catch their attention. This is done in the hope of making them your potential customers so that they could benefit you or your company in the long run.
In this competitive world, business branding is not an easy job. Business branding requires your full attention, time, focus, and energy to reveal positive results. For this purpose, the first and foremost step is to conduct in-depth market research to identify and analyze a number of things.
Among those things, the most important ones include your competitors, market trends, customer demands, suppliers, distributors, retailers, stockholders, and many such role players. You must be aware of the changing marketplace as well to best meet the needs and demands of your customers.
Determining who your competitors are and what they are doing also deeply influences your business branding. Suppose that you have a business of shoes, and you want to brand it. Before you start business branding for it, you must know what other shoe sellers are operating in the market around you.
You must identify which marketing and branding tactics they are using to win the largest market share. You must also have a look at their design and pricing strategy. In short, there are hundreds of things about which you must conduct thorough research to gather useful insights. These insights would help you in devising a hit business branding plan for your business.
Pros and cons of business branding
Just like personal branding, business branding also includes a number of advantages and disadvantages for everyone. If you want to proceed with business branding, please take a few minutes to read its pros and cons below.
Business branding offers the following outstanding benefits/advantages to everyone.
- Business branding directly leads to create brand awareness about your brand in the eyes of your targeted community. All the efforts invested in business branding result in creating a widespread image of your brand. It spread awareness about your company, its products, services, and whatever you are offering to the people.
- Business branding is a great way to boost customer loyalty through positive endeavors. Whenever people hear about your business, it would recall its core compatibilities in their minds. As a result, the positive vibes originating into their minds would bring them back to your business and turn them into long term customers.
- Business branding offers you the chance to secure your business from competitors. When you brand your business within the legal boundaries, you would have to choose a registered name for it. No one else can use that legally chosen business name for their business. In this way, no one can steal your business ever, and all your business branding efforts remain intact.
- Business branding offers you the opportunity to grow your business on a global level. By choosing the right marketing and branding strategies for this purpose, you can make your brand stand out in the eyes of global customers.
- In contrast to personal branding, business branding always comes with huge profits and the greatest revenues. Due to its wide potential and high scope for growth, it offers you the opportunity to enjoy greater returns on investments.
- However, business branding also involves a negative side, just like personal branding. If you choose business branding, you may have to face any/all of the following disadvantages.
- The image of your brand that you create through business branding is very difficult or sometimes impossible to change. In business branding, you need to be very careful because changing the perceptions of a large number of audience is not an easy job.
- Business branding also requires a lot of monetary and timely investments. If you don’t have enough time and money, you will fail in business branding. For successful business branding, make sure to have a lot of time to invest in it or either hire someone for this purpose. Additionally, make sure that you can bear the cost of business branding in the long run to reap the positive results.
Personal Branding vs. Business Branding: Which one is good?
There is no good or bad type of branding, but it depends on what you need to brand. If you own a company and want to brand its products, services, or any other offerings, business branding would be the right option for you. However, if you don’t own a company but want to promote yourself, your capabilities, or your skills, personal branding would be the right option for you.
In either case, make sure to first understand what is branding and why branding is important. Once you have a good understanding of these two concepts, you would be ready to start your chosen type of branding. Choose your type accordingly, implement it wisely, and enjoy the benefits countlessly!